A look back …
In 1881, the Coleman Methodist Episcopal Church was established and in 1883, the initial church was built. After a fire, a new church built of field-stone, was completed in 1903 at the current site. Many changes, improvements, and remodeling occurred throughout the years in the old church, until the need and ability to update became a concern.
In 1968, the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren merged to become the United Methodist Church. At this time, the Methodist Church in North Bradley closed and became part of the Coleman family.
The Fellowship Hall was completed in 1995, to better facilitate Sunday School and the church’s commitment to serving the community within and beyond.
In May of 2011, we began to add on to the Fellowship Hall to replace the old church building. In April of 2013, we were very close to completion of this project. Both the Fellowship Hall and the new Church building were built primarily with volunteer labor from within the church, the community of Coleman, and volunteer teams from throughout the country. This was truly a labor of love for the Lord and for the church.
As we have journeyed through the many decisions, hopes and dreams, we have kept in mind that our primary task as a church is to make disciples of Christ for the transformation of the world. This understanding is evidenced in the flexibility and cost effectiveness of the new building. This understanding is also reflected in the many affirmations God has placed in our path.
As we look to the future…
As we move forward, our commitment to being Christ’s disciples in Coleman is renewed. We continue to discern God’s will and God’s call for the Faith UMC community. God has helped us build a new church and we look forward to using it to further God’s kingdom!